Monday, August 25, 2008

And down the stretch they come!

That's horse talk for we're almost finished with phase 1 of our battle with cancer. I say we because it's been a team effort led by Wendy, Zill, my friends and family. Our battle started 4 months ago and I'm doing just fine although no one can onfirm that quite yet. The summer has flown by and I'm disappointed that we missed out on some things. Not the kids though Sammy and Jessica did a week and some weekends at the beach, had sleep overs, trips to Great Adventure and lots ofother fun. Sam spent a week at cubscout camp despite his fathers objections and had the time of his life. Both got to go to soccer camp for a week (thank you Larry and Jacqueline) . I got to play alot of golf only to realize I still suck at it, well by my standards anyway. Thank you Tommy O, David and Andrew, Piercie and everyone else who got me out of bed and onto the course. Definately kept my spirits up despite the pain in my joints when I would hit the ball. I was also able to revive my relationship with God which is always strong but even stronger now. I've thanked him for my good days this summer, all the wonderful people in my life, the joy I get from watching my dogs run through the park and of course all the birdies and pars on the golf course. We won't mention my thoughts on double bogeys at this time.

Now here's my deal. Still feeling pretty good and last round of chemo/Nuelasta set for Weds.-Thurs. this week. Will be down and out till Labor Day then should bounce back as usual. Don't know where I'm at with the tumors but will get Petscan early September to find out. If they've shrunk down radiation will begin, asap as far as I'm concerned and I plan on pushing that point with he doctors. I feel I'm ready for it and still strong enough to deal with the many side effects so "bring it on". Radiation is 20 minutes a day for 10 consecutive days, 10 days off for recovery, then 10 more consecutive days of treatments. People tend to lose weight during radiation and become extremely fatigued and sickly. Again only a temporary setback and the radiation should kill off the remaining tumors. All goes well and I'm off to California for the Breeder Cup last week of October then fully recovered by the Holidays. Let's hope this scenario pans out.

Finally it's nearing crunch time for me so hope that the chemo has done it's job. Hope that radiation starts soon and does it's job without beating me up too badly. Hope for little side effects and a speedy recovery process. Should I decide on Sloan Kettering for radiation I will be looking for rides and many of you have volunteered so be prepared I'll need your support. Alot of questions to be answered next few weeks so please keep me in your thoughts.

As always Thank You

No comments: